Monday, September 26, 2016

Home on the range

Not my home, but one I have wanted to see for ages. On Saturday I drove up the range, past Toowoomba, to a little town called Cambooya. Just outside the town, there was an open house/garden at Harrow Homestead. Since the house is rarely open to the public, I was excited to visit.

After a yummy morning tea of scones (sorry no pic, I was too hungry after the drive), my friend and I strolled around the extensive gardens.






We were able to go into the house and could see into all the rooms, even though we were confined to the hallway. The most striking thing about it was the extensive use of timber, for panelling and even the ceilings. Great craftsmanship in the mantelpieces and a pediment over one door. The house appears to have been built around the 1890s or early Federation.



On our way back through Toowoomba, we stopped to see the gardens in Queen's park, all displaying their Carnival of Flowers beauty. Magnificent!





And best of all, the weather was glorious!

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you! Such a beautiful old home and gardens. Toowoomba would have been the icing on the cake. Beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete