Monday, October 15, 2012

Blogtoberfest 2012 - Day 15

One of the things I love about living in Ipswich is the amount of lovely parks provided by the City Council. Not long after I moved here they developed parkland along the bank of the Bremer River in the city centre and named it (very appropriately) Riverheart Parklands. There are boardwalks, rainforest walks, ponds and lawns which wend their way along the river. After being devastated by flood they have been repaired and recently extended further down the river.


Today I went for a walk to see the new part and was most impressed. Since the Bremer has high banks in parts, it feels as if the city and traffic are far away.


This board has pictures showing the history of the river, including its early years as the head of navigation when goods were loaded here to travel down to Brisbane.


This picture is not very clear but it shows the flood marker on one of the supports for the main traffic bridge over the Bremer. In 2011 the water went over the marker, peaking at around 18 metres. Seems incredible doesn't it? Across the river is the Riverlink shopping centre and you can just make out the framework for the gasometer which used to be there when the site was used for industrial purposes.
It was a lovely walk and I think it may become a regular one.


4 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to see the restoration of the flood effected areas...lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn, I think that my abilities to create on a budget, spring from necessity, and from having parents that taught me the value of hard work and saving. "Waste not want not". That was the motto of anyone who lived through the great depression, like my folks. I feel blessed that they passed their ethics on to us. I read once that the best thing that a parent can do for their children is to raise them to be independent. I truly believe that this is true.
    Have a lovely week, and thank you so much for stopping by and visiting. Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again, I hit the publish button too soon . . . the evening bag in the post before this one is gorgeous. I don't think that you were being bad at all to purchase it. It will be a treasure in your collection.
    This walk looks wonderful and it looks like you had a beautiful day for walking. Stay happy, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post and the pictures. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete