Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday treasures

In this day and age people may think it strange that a child's first watch was a very big deal. They are now so cheap and almost disposable. When I finished Primary school (in those days it was Grade 8) my parents bought me my first watch. It came from Wallace Bishop's (before it was a franchise) and was dainty and delicate in marcasite.
It disappeared some time in the 70s when I was living in Melbourne and I mourned its loss.


Many years later my daughter gave me this one she found at Cash Converters. It's not exactly the same, but it is dainty and delicate. It doesn't work but I don't care. I treasure it because my daughter took the time to find it and give me a reminder of something special.
Don't forget to pop over to Melody's and see who else is sharing today.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear it vanished. I have my Grandma's watch on my Dads side, and my Great-grandma's watch on my mothers side, and they are both very old and delicate like the one your daughter gave you. I love them, they are absolutely priceless to me, having a piece of people I was never able to meet but knowing they are a part of me. In fact, I think I blogged about my grandma's watch in Tuesday Treasures when Clare was doing it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here it is! I knew I could find the post! http://kraftypanda.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/tuesday-treasure_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that your daughter did that for you. I don't think it strange at all that such an item should be special to you. I have a fancy glass jar that my dad once brought home for me when I was about 9. It was filled with marshmallows and I have treasured the jar ever since. It is really worthless but yet priceless to me. I might make that my tuesday treasure next week!
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the trip back in time(forgive the pun) I remember how special it was. Such a treasure to know your daughter thought of you in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've awoken a memory for me too. I remember how proud and excited I was when I received my first watch. I think presents we're so much more special when I was little because we only received them for birthdays and Christmas . Thank you so much for playing along today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a shame you don't have your original watch, but this one your daughter has given you is a real "treasure". Just beautiful and made even more special because of the story behind it. The marcasite watches were really beautiful weren't they?

    ReplyDelete