Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday treasures

This piano has been a part of my life since my early teens, although it has not always lived at my house. My mother bought it around 1960, partly because she wanted my brother and I, as well as our younger siblings, to learn music, and partly to relive her own dreams of playing which were never properly fulfilled when she was young. It was purchased, reconditioned, from Palings music store, for many years a Brisbane icon, which sadly no longer exists.
Add caption
It survived many moves and much loving use at many, many family gatherings over the years. It managed to keep going in spite of rarely being tuned as Mum and Dad would not have been able to afford it. Mum used to dream of having it restored one day, but that task became mine. When I moved to Clenbar the piano went off to be reconditioned once again, however, I chose only to restore it internally, and left the outside to tell its own story.
I would love to be able to say that I play it regularly but that would be fibbing. My skills are extremely rusty, though I have fantasies about taking lessons again one day.


Thanks again to Melody for hosting Tuesday Treasures, don't forget to visit to see who else is sharing today.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to have in your home, with all the family memories. Thank you so much for sharing it with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The piano is lovely.... I have to admit I have always fancied owning and playing a piano... and what a beautiful embroidered cloth you have on it....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post. Your piano is beautiful and I love that you have left the outside as it is. So many beautiful memories... a really, true, treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful piano and much beloved member of the family by the sounds of it. I remember Palings...used to go there on a Saturday morning to check at the Top 40 hits and listen to a prospective purchase in a booth with the headphones on. I'm glad your piano shows it's history on the outside it gives it character. Great treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Carolyn,

    Oh that is a beautiful piano,so glad you left the outside "as is" that is its history and you can't change that. Hope you get to use it a bit more.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. A treasure to love , I think pianos in a home are so wonderful as the sound of the keys playing is so delightful .I hope you do take the time to take lessons again, you would truly love playing this treasure .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your piano. I wish i didn't have to part with mine when i moved north. Saddens me at times when i think of it but i had no choice. :( Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful memories that piano must have.. So glad you have it now..

    ReplyDelete