Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Tuesday Treasures

It's nice to be back in blog-world, especially to join with Melody for Tuesday Treasures.
My treasure today is a crocheted cushion cover which I had framed. It came from my grandmother's house (my dad's mum) but I'm not sure if she actually made it or not, as all my aunts were able to do beautiful hand work also.

It was most likely made during or after the first world war, as patterns for patriotic items were very popular then.This beautiful book has an interesting chapter about the ways women supported the war effort with their craft.

As someone who also loves to crochet I really treasure the effort involved in making this.

8 comments:

  1. Exquisite work! That is a beautiful treasure, but extra special being made by a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really wonderful post. I have the same fabulous book and love how it recognises and values the 'domestic arts'. I'm so glad you are preserving this wonderful piece of family history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful. What a lovely idea, framing it so it can be in show but not damaged

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous Heirloom Carolyn, such beautiful crochet. I also have a treasured copy of "The Gentle Arts" I bought it years ago, it was quite expensive, and I couldn't really afford it at the time, but I'm glad I didn't resist. Cheers R.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Family heirloom Carolyn and it looks so lovely framed. I haven't seen that book but it sounds very interesting. Love reading about the women who came before us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful crochet. I can't crochet very well but I love to see such lovely works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful and such a treasure to have passed down and I can imagine the hours it would have taken to crochet such fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you are preserving your family heirlooms Carolyn. The next generations are going to appreciate it.. I have a book of my grandmothers which is very very old, and I treasure it..

    ReplyDelete