Monday, May 16, 2011

Tuesday Treasures





One of my favourite crafts is crochet. I learned when I was fairly young from my Grandma. She did beautiful work which I admired as a child. As a teen, I asked her to make me fashionable clothing and her efforts included a crochet bikini and a dress which I hardly ever wore as I decided once it was finished that the colour wasn't me. (Bright orange! What was I thinking!!!)


Of course I no longer have those things and don't remember what became of them. Luckily I came to my senses before it was too late and asked for something a little more genteel and ladylike. These two treasured doilies are all I have of my grandmother's work, but, thanks to her I now have the ability to make my own, which is certainly something to treasure.


She also fostered and encouraged my life-long love affair with books and reading, but that's another story!


Go on over to Melody's to see who else is sharing today.

7 comments:

  1. Well, you've freaked me out now. I blogged about Nanna in my Tuesday Treasures....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful you have these two treasures and even more the shared skill from your grandma. You must have been pretty daring to wear your crochet bikini- hope it wasn't too lacy (smile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crochet is a great hobby.Love your Grandma's work. Now a orange dress,that is something from the past.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy you being able to crochet it is 1 craft that i havent learnt,they are very pretty lovely treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have the left over orange wool!!!! Given to me by my mother-in-law... Grandma's and treasured memories go so well together..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crochet doilies are really beautiful and so nice that you have them as a memory of your grandmother .

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are beautiful examples of your Grandmothers work and what a legacy she gave you.

    ReplyDelete